Rangoon Memorial is situated in Taukkyan War Cemetery, Myanmar (formerly Burma) and is about 35 kilometres north of Yangon (formerly Rangoon).
The Memorial bears the names of nearly 27,000 men of the Commonwealth land forces who died during the campaigns in Burma and who have no known grave.
The memorial was designed by Mr. H. J. Brown, ARIBA and unveiled by General Sir Francis Festing, GCB, KBE, DSO on the 9th February 1958.
Taukkyan War Cemetery is the largest of the three war cemeteries in Burma. It was started in 1951 for the reception of graves from four other battlefield cemeteries at Akyab, Mandalay, Meiktila and Sahmaw, which were difficult to access and so could not be maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The graves have been grouped together at Taukkyan to preserve the individuality of these battlefield cemeteries.
Burials from civil and cantonment cemeteries were also transferred, as well as those from a number of isolated jungle and roadside sites. However, because of prolonged post-war unrest in the country, considerable delay occurred before the Army Graves Service were able to complete their work, which resulted in many of the original graves having disappeared.
Today the cemetery contains 6374 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, of which 867 are unidentified.
(Photos of Rangoon Memorial kindly provided by Ian Gough, his family friend Chris Cook took the actual photos).