General Sir James Simpson GCB
Appointed Colonel of the 29th Regiment of Foot on 27th July 1863.
General Sir James Simpson was the son of David Simpson, Esqre. of Teviot Bank, was born in 1792, and after having served two years in the Company’s service at Madras, was appointed Ensign of the 1st Foot Guards on the 3rd April 1811 ; served in the Peninsula War from May 1812 to 1813 including the latter part of siege of Cadiz and the defence of Seville.
Lieutenant and Captain 25th December 1813; served the campaign of 1815 and was severely wounded at Quatre Bras.
He was Adjutant of the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards on 8th February 1821, and on 25th April 1825 was promoted to an unattached Lieut.-Colonelcy, from which on 10th June 1828 he exchanged to the 29th Regiment of Foot as Brevet Colonel 28th June 1838, exchanged to half pay unattached on the 31st May 1839. On 8th April 1842, exchanged back to full pay, and proceeded to Bengal in command of the Regiment Commanded the Banáras Division from 15th January to May 1843; was from July 1843 employed on the Staff in Sind, and was subsequently appointed second in command to Sir Charles Napier during the campaign against the mountain and desert tribes on the right bank of the indus. On 8th December 1846 exchanged to half pay unattached, and soon afterwards was appointed Commandant of Chatham.
He became Major-General on the 11th November 1851, Lieut.-General on the 29th June, and General on the 8th September 1855.
General Simpson served in the Crimean campaign, first as Chief of the Staff and afterwards as Commander-in-Chief.
On 27th July 1863 was appointed Colonel of the 29th Regiment of Foot, and died at Horringer, near Bury St. Edmunds, 18 April 1868.