Major-General John Harold Owen WILSEY, C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O.

Commanded the 9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from January 1943 to October 1943.

John Harold Wilsey was born 29 November 1922. Son of Major H. W. Wilsey. He was Educated at Haileybury.

First commissioned from the Royal Military College, Sandhurst in to the Dorset Regiment in 1924. Promoted to Lieutenant in 1926 and appointed Adjutant in 1930, which he held to 1933.

He was an Instructor at Royal Military College, Sandhurst from 1934 to 1938.

He was transferred, on accelerated promotion to Captain, to The Worcestershire Regiment in 1936, and he commanded the 9th Battalion of The Regiment in Northern Ireland and South-East England from January to October 1943.

He then commanded the 7th Duke of Wellington's Regiment in the Normandy landing in 1944.

He commanded a Brigade in 53rd (Welsh) Division in 1945 and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in March 1945, and the C.B.E. in January 1946 for his services in the North West Europe operations.

From 1945 to 1946 he was Commandant of the Staff College, Haifa, and in 1947 he attended a course at the Imperial Defence College.

He was appointed Brigadier-General Staff, Rhine Army in 1948, and from 1949 to 1950 he commanded 5th Infantry Brigade in B.A.O.R.

He was promoted Major-General in 1952, and held the important and arduous appointment of Director of Staff Duties, War Office, from 1953 to 1954.

General Wilsey and The Regiment came together again in 1955 when the 1st Battalion was stationed in B.A.O.R. in 5th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, with Major General Wilsey as their Divisional Commander, when members of The Regiment saw much of him on higher training, at athletic events, and in the Officers' Mess.

Maj.-Gen. J. H. O. Wilsey
(known as "Felix")
(awaiting photo)

Towards the end of his time as Divisional Commander of the 2nd Division he became seriously ill, and had to give up command of the Division.

Major-General J. H. O. Wilsey died suddenly, on the 20th July 1961, from a heart attack at his home Maufant Manor, St. Saviour, Jersey, Channel Islands.