Sir Roger Hale SHEAFFE, Bart

Colonel of the 36th Regiment of Foot (became 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in 1881)
Appointed Colonel on 21st December 1829 to 17th July 1851

Roger Hale Sheaffe the third son of William Sheaffe, Deputy Collector of Customs, was born in Boston 1763.

He became the protégé of the Duke of Northumberland (Earl Percy). The Duke took great interest in young Roger and sent him to sea but later transferred him to Lockes Military Academy in London. He also bought most of Roger's commissions beginning in 1778.

Roger Hale Sheaffe commenced his military career as ensign in the Fifth fusiliers, his commission being dated 1st of May 1778, in which regiment he rose to the rank of lieutenant on the 27th of December 1780. Lieutenant Sheaffe served in Ireland from January 1781 to May 1787, and in Canada from July following to September 1797. In 1794 he was employed under the orders of Lord Dorchester, and with instructions from Lieut.-Governor Simcoe, on a public mission to protest against certain settlements made by the Americans on the south shore of Lake Ontario. On the 5th of May 1795, he was promoted to the rank of Captain in the Fifth fusiliers, and on the 13th of December 1797 was promoted Major in the 81st Regiment, and was advanced to the rank of Lieut.-Colonel of the 49th Regiment on the 22nd of March 1798.

Lieut.-Colonel Sheaffe served in Holland from August to November 1799; in the Baltic from March to July 1801; and in Canada from September 1802 to October 1811, where he commanded a wing of the 49th Regiment at Fort George.

On the 25th of April 1808, he received the brevet rank of Colonel, and on the 4th of June 1811 was advanced to the rank of Major-General. He again served in Canada from the 29th of July 1812 to November 1813.

Sir Roger Hale Sheaffe

The Americans having invaded Upper Canada at Queenstown on the 13th of October 1812, and General Isaac Brock, commanding in the province, having fallen in a gallant effort with an independent force to oppose them, Major-General Sheaffe, on whom the command devolved, assembled some regular troops and militia, with a few Indians, and the same day attacked them in a woody height, which they occupied above the town, and completely defeated them, though far exceeding his own followers in number, their Commander delivering his sword, and surrendering his surviving troops on the field of battle.

In acknowledgment of this important service, Major-General Sheaffe was created a Baronet by patent, dated 16th January 1813. Sir Roger Sheaffe defended the town of York (now called Toronto), in Upper Canada, on the 27th of April 1813, when it was attacked by the Americans, whose loss exceeded the number of those opposed to them. He continued to command in the Upper Province, and to administer its government, until June 1813; on quitting it he received, from the resident members of the Executive Council, an address expressing their sense of "that display of candour, justice, and impartiality which had marked his administration, and the urbanity and confidence of his official intercourse." They further acknowledged their conviction that they owed the salvation of the whole province to his military talents on the memorable day when lie succeeded to the command. He was appointed to the Staff of Great Britain on the 25th of March 1814; but the appointment was recalled and deferred, in consequence of the change of affairs in Europe.

Major-General Sir Roger Sheaffe was promoted to the rank of Lieut.-General on the 19th of July 1821, and on the 21st of December 1829 was appointed by His Majesty King George IV. to be Colonel of the 36th Regiment. He was advanced to the rank of General on the 28th of June 1838. General Sir Roger Hale Sheaffe, Bart., died at Edinburgh, aged 88 years, on the 17th of July 1851.