Lieut.-Colonel Geoffrey MANDER-JONES (52283)

Commanded the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from May 1945 to March 1946.

Geoffrey Mander-Jones was born at Homebush, near Sydney, NSW, Australia on the 4th August 1906. He was the youngest child of of Dr. George Mander Jones and Margaret Fleming Jones (née Arnott). It is interesting to note that the name Mander was taken from his great grandmother Jane Hall, daughter of John Hall Mander of East Smithfield, who was married to his great grandfather David Jones originally from Wales.

His great grandparents moved to Sydney, Australia in October 1834.

Geoffrey Mander-Jones was educated at C. of E. Grammar School in Sydney and University of Sydney. He then joined the Australian Staff Corps as an officer cadet.

On the 28th June 1931 he was gazetted from the Australian Staff Corps to the Yorks & Lancaster Regiment with the rank of Lieutenant.

On the 6th September 1937 he was promoted to Captain and on the 12th June 1944 to Major.

Major Geoffrey Mander-Jones joined the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Pyawbwe, Burma, where the Battalion was resting and training, at the end of April 1945 as second-in-command. He took command of the 2nd Battalion in mid May 1945 from Lieut.-Colonel Symes who had not been very fit for some time and had to return to India for a rest.

Lieut.-Col. G. Mander-Jones

Major Geoffrey Mander-Jones retired from the Army on the 29th September 1953 and was granted the honorary rank of Lieut.-Colonel.

He married Miss Daisy Balfour and the had 3 children.

Lieut.-Colonel Geoffrey Mander-Jones died in 1970 at the age of 64.


Officers of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (1st May 1946)

Back row: Lieut. (Q.M.) C. G. Skelley, Lieut. P. M. Dack, Cf. IV. H. D. Prout (R.A.Ch.D.), Lieut. E. P. Dinsdale. Middle row: Lieut. M. E. Connop, Lieut. A. G. Plucknett, Lieut. D. R. Perry, Lieut. T. Curtis-Hayward, Lieut. H. H. Dent, Lieut. R. D. Combe, Capt. D. N. Stewart (R.A.M.C.), Lieut. B. J. Ward, Lieut. J. C. Bruce, Lieut. A. J. Shawe, Lieut. W. H. Anderson, Lieut. G. C. Holmes, Lieut. G. B. Dewhurst.
Front row: Capt. J. G. Y. Baldwin, Capt. I. G. B. Bain, M.B.E., Capt. A. J. Duncan, Major D. R. C. Bailey, M.C., Major G. G. H. Peace (2 i/c), Lieut.-Col. G. Mander Jones, Capt. D. C. Lunn-Rockliffe (Adjutant), Major A. G. S. Edgar, Capt. I. W. Walton, Capt. C. W. Coonan, Lieut. J. S. C. Gurney-Champion.

Commanding 2nd Battalion, The Worcestershire Regiment.


No. 22. 19 Mar., '46.

On March 13th, 1945, after fourteen weeks of heavy fighting and arduous marching, the 2nd Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment reached its goal by entering the city of Mandalay. Fierce fighting was in progress, centred mainly around the mile square Fort Dufferin, in which a large body of Japanese were firmly established. The task given to the Battalion was that of dominating the East gate of the Fort and of clearing up all centres of resistance adjacent to the East wall.

To achieve this, "A" Company attacked and took the compound of Taiktaw, thus denying the use of the East gate to the enemy. "B" Company, working two miles South in the city, prevented a party of Japanese using some cross-roads vital to their escape, and were also able to evacuate many Nuns and Priests who had been imprisoned in the Mandalay Leper Asylum. "C" Company occupied an area three-quarters of a mile South-east of the East gate and eventually occupied a Poongyi Kyaung, which had been strongly fortified by the enemy. "D" Company patrolled offensively in Mandalay city, making a gallant attempt to enter Fort Dufferin by night across the seventy-five yard wide moat.

On March 20th, 1945, exactly one year ago, Fort Dufferin fell. The Battalion, which had played such a large part in the recapture of Mandalay and which had been fighting and marching daily since November 30th, 1944, was then sent up to Maymyo for seven days' rest before returning to the battle.

To celebrate the victory of Mandalay, Wednesday, 20th March 1946, will be observed as a half-holiday.