Colonel FitzWilliam Frederick HUNTER

Commanded the 36th Regiment of Foot (1st Battalion) from April 1870 to December 1877 .
(became 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in 1881)


FitzWilliam Frederick Hunter entered the army as Ensign in the 47th Regiment of Foot, his commission bearing date 21st of July 1848. On 14th of June 1850, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, and on 17th March 1851, he embarked with his regiment for the Ionian Islands, where he remained until 30th of March 1853. He proceeded from thence to Malta, where he served until the 18th of April 1854. On 19th April he sailed with 47th Regiment to Turkey, where they remained until 13th of September 1854. Sailed with the expedition to the Crimea, and took part in the battle of Alma on 20th of September, and capture of Balaclava.

On 29th of December 1854, he was promoted to a company in his regiment. He was engaged in the Eastern campaign of 1854-5, including the battle of Inkerman, siege and fall of Sebastopol, sortie of 26th
of October, and storming of the Quarries. Wounded. (Medal with clasps, for Alma, Inkerman, and Sebastopol; Knight of the Legion of Honour, 5th Class of the Medjidie, and Turkish medal). Was mentioned in the late Field-Marshal Lord Raglan's despatches for service rendered in the capture of the Quarries 7th June, 1855, London Gazette, 21st and 25th of June 1855.

On 2nd of November 1855, he was promoted to Brevet rank of Major for field service. On 2nd of June 1856, he proceeded with his regiment to Malta, where he served until 2nd of June 1857. From thence, on the 3rd of June, he embarked for Gibraltar, where he served until the 24th August 1857, he then embarked for England.

On 19th of February 1858, he was passed to the half-pay list as Major. On 19th of November 1861, he embarked for Canada (particular service). On 13th of December 1861, he was promoted to full-pay, active list. He remained in Canada till 12th of May 1862, when he returned to England.

On 24th of June 1862, he was transferred to 36th Foot, and on 4th of August 1863, he embarked in command of a wing of the regiment for the East Indies. He was promoted Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel on the 12th May 1866. On 1st of December, 1870, he embarked for England, having been granted leave of absence, where he remained until 7th of April 1871, when he again returned to the East Indies.

On 3rd of April 1870, he was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel, and succeeded Colonel Patrick William MacMahon in the command of the 36th Foot. On 27th of January 1874, he was promoted Brevet-Colonel, and on 13th of November 1875, he embarked with the regiment for England, arriving at Portsmouth on 20th of December 1875. On 19th of December 1877, he retired on half-pay, and was immediately afterwards appointed to the command of' 22nd Brigade Depot (later known as the twenty-ninth Regimental District) on its formation.