Lieutenant-Colonel Frank Passy DUNLOP, C.B.E., D.S.O.

Commanded the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from November 1925 to October 1929.

Son of Captain W. W. Dunlop, 67th Regiment, Colonel Dunlop was born in 1877, and was educated at Tonbridge School. In June 1896, he enlisted in the Royal Welch Fusiliers and went with them to Malta the same year. He served in the occupation of Crete in 1897-98 and afterwards in Egypt and in Hong Kong, where he took part in the Police operations, which arose out of the occupation of the Kowloon Hinterland.

When a Lance Sergeant, he received a Commission in The Worcestershire Regiment, and proceeded to South Africa in May

He was Assistant Provost Marshal at Winburg, O.R.C., for a year, and then joined the 1st Battalion at Nicksburg, O.R.C.

In 1902 he brought home the first batch of reservists to Worcester, and then returned to Bloemfontein. He came home with the 1st Battalion to Templemore in 1903, and was promoted Captain in November 1904.

When the 1st Battalion was in Portobello Barracks, Dublin, in 1908, he married Alice, daughter of the Rev. A. MacLaughlin, and they accompanied this Battalion to Bordon at the end of the year.

He was at the Staff College in 1910-11, and in 1912 was appointed Staff Captain, (A.G.’s Branch), at the War Office.

In 1913 he joined the 5th Division at the Curragh as Staft Captain, and when they mobilized in August, 1914, became D.A.Q.M.G. of the Division, and remained in this capacity until 1915, when he proceeded to the Dardanelles as D.A.Q.M.G., G.H.Q., Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, later becoming A.Q.M.G. On completion of the operations in Gallipoli he returned to England in 1916, and was given command of the 20th Service Bn. Middlesex Regiment, which he took to France in June of that year.

Lieut.-Colonel F. P. Dunlop CBE, DSO

In September 1917, he was appointed Instructor at the Senior Officers’ School, Aldershot. From September, 1918, to April, 1920, he was A.Q.M.G., Scottish Command, and from there proceeded to Turkey as D.A.Q.M.G., afterwards becoming Base Commandant, Constantinople. During the Turkish crisis 1922-23 he was A.Q.M.G. and for some time commanded the new Base at Kilia. For his services during this period he received the C.B.E.

He joined the 2nd Battalion as Senior Major in January, 1924, and was promoted to the command in succession to Lieut.-Colonel Davidge in November, 1925. He took the Battalion to the Rhine in January, 1926, bringing them home to Plymouth, in November, 1928.

Lieut.-Colonel Dunlop commanded the 2nd Battalion from 23rd November 1925 to 15th October 1929.

After such a brilliant Colonel Dunlop was then appointed A.A. & Q.M.G., Buluchistan District, Quetta, without having to suffer the trials and tribulations of half-pay not knowing whether a job is coming.

The Battalion's farewell to Lieutenant-Colonel F. P. Dunlop, CBE, DSO


The Regiment bade farewell to Colonel Dunlop on 7th October, 1929, and the actual parting, in spite of that catching in the back of the throat, to the strains of "Auld lang syne" had some relief in an excellently staged farewell produced by the R.S.M. The Regiments local garage owns an immaculate Rolls Royce as taxi, and this had been specially chartered for the occasion.

At zero hour the men were all lined along the railings and grass bank between the C.O.’s house and barracks, with the band and drums in attendance.

The Rolls approached to schedule, but the chauffeur looked worried, and the car came to a sudden standstill. Since he did not diagnose the trouble immediately, a well-trained party, complete with drag ropes, stepped into the breach, and at a good smart double took the car, amidst parting cheers and strains of music, to the top of the hill just beyond Barracks. Here, after the C.O. had said a few words to the energetic team, the car came into its own and proceeded on its way.