Lieut.-Colonel Charles DEAKIN, O.B.E. (1335)

Commanded the Depot Worcestershire Regiment from November 1932 to November 1935.
Commanded the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from November 1937 to November 1940.

Charles Deakin was born on the 28th January 1881. Son of Stephen and Mary Deakin.

Lieutenant-Colonel Deakin joined the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Aldershot, October, 1907, and proceeded to South Africa with it the following month, spending a year there, returning with it in 1908 to Dover. After four years there, he went with the Battalion to Tidworth, remaining there till March, 1914, when he was seconded to the Army Signal Service.

In August 1914, he went out with the 3rd Division to France, being wounded on the 11th November at Hooge. After some months in hospital he joined the 13th Division, and proceeded to Gallipoli in June 1915, but was invalided in October to Malta, returning to England at Christmas. In April 1916, he was appointed Chief Signal Officer Eastern Command, till January 1917, when he went to the War Office for three years as Deputy Assistant Director Movements. In January he rejoined the 3rd Battalion at Chaubattia, India, and remained with them until returning to the Depot in 1921. Owing to the reduction in establishment there due to the disbandment of the 3rd and 4th Battalions, he left the Depot in 1922, and was posted to the 1st Battalion at Nasirabad, proceeding to Meerut with them early 1923. From then till April 1927, he was at Delhi and Simla, having been appointed a D.A.A.G. at Army Headquarters.

In April 1927, he rejoined the 1st Battalion at Allahabad, and went with it to North China in 1929, returning to Plymouth in 1931. In 1932 he took over command of the Depot until November 1935, when he rejoined the 1st Battalion, then at Aldershot. In 1936 he proceeded to Palestine in connection with martial law, returning in December 1936.

Lieut.-Colonel C. Deakin

Lieut.-Colonel C. Deacon at Sialkot (1938)

He played hockey for the 3rd Battalion in 1907, and kept it up till he was forbidden to play any more after his 50th birthday.

He will probably be remembered as the officer who put in the amplifier into Norton Barracks in 1934, which was still in use in the 1940's.

During the war of 1914, he was awarded the O.B.E., was twice mentioned in despatches, given the Chinese order of Wen Hu, and brevet rank of Major in 1917.

He is probably one of the very few officers who was commanding a unit in 1914, and was also commanding a unit in September, 1939. His total service in the Regiment was 33 years.

On the 29th January 1941 he was restored to full pay and re-employed in the army.

Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Deakin died in hospital on the 8th March 1944 (age 56) whilst on active service. His grave is at Bridstow (St. Bridget) Churchyard, Herefordshire.