Colonel Ralph Edward CARR

Commanded the 36th Regiment of Foot (1st Battalion) from December 1877 to July 1881.
(became 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in 1881)


Ralph Edward Carr entered the army as Ensign in the 39th Foot, his commission bearing date 13th of February 1852. On 10th of June 1853, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, and on 16th of April 1854, he sailed for Gibraltar, where he served until 6th of December of same year. From thence lie proceeded with his regiment to the Crimea, where he was engaged with 3rd Division in the siege of Sebastopol from 1st of January 1855, till the fall of the place on 8th of September, including the attack on Redan, 18th of June 1855, and sortie on Woronzoff Road, 2nd of August 1855. Mentioned in the despatches of General Simpson, 4th of August 1855 published in London Gazette, 16th of August 1855. Medal with clasp for Sebastopol, Turkish Crimean medal, Knight of Legion of Honour, 10th of November 1855.

On 25th of January 1856, he was promoted to a company in his regiment. On 25th of February 1856, he joined the depot companies at Limerick, where he remained until 24th of June of the same year. On that date he exchanged into the 36th Regiment, and on 22nd of September 1856, sailed for the West Indies, where he joined the service companies at Newcastle, Jamaica. On the 36th Regiment being relieved by the 41st Regiment, Captain Carr embarked on 18th of May 1857, at Kingstown, Jamaica, in command of "G" Company on board H.M. corvette "Cossack," for passage to England. Served in England and Ireland till 3rd of August 1863. He then embarked with the 36th Regiment for the East Indies, and served there until 18th of May 1868, when he was appointed to the command of the Depot at Pembroke Dock.

On 3rd of April 1870, he was promoted to a majority in the regiment. On 1st of December 1870, he again sailed for the East Indies, in command of drafts of various regiments on board the steam transport "City of Brussels," for the purpose of rejoining his regiment. He served there until 13th of November 1875, on which date the regiment embarked for England, arriving on 20th December 1875. On 1st of October 1877, he was promoted Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel, and on 19th of December same year Lieutenant-Colonel, when he succeeded Colonel Fitzwilliam Frederick Hunter in the command of the regiment.

On 1st of October, 1881, he was promoted Brevet Colonel.